Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Days

View of the snow-covered pond behind our house.
Snow Day! 
   These were two of my favorite words as a kid and I don't think this has changed much except that I have changed my role from student to teacher.  This winter the snow started to fall and it doesn't look like there is an end in sight.  I am beginning to wonder if I will have a summer or if I should put my bathing suite on now and toss the beach ball around the living room with my kids. I love many things about my job but one of the things that stand out above the rest is the time I have off with my children (it is a blessing).  I am allowed this great job that works around my kid's schedule. 
   I love being a mom and I love the relationship that I have with my kids.  My kids are both so unique and an amazing gift that is given each day to me.  Today, Michael wakes me to give me the news of "Snow" ( which I am not surprised).  I think he gets just as excited as I do.  His excitement comes from the fact that he does not have the chore of taking Chloe to his mom's small home daycare and can get to work a little earlier than usual.  That is another blessing for us -to have our children's MeeMaw take care of them without having a complete stranger look after them.  I don't know if I would feel as comfortable at work as I do without the help from the grandparents.  I know, no matter how bad my daughter may be that day, that there is an unconditional love that will overlook all her shortcomings;-)
    So, today I wait anxiously for Chloe to wake--she is the last one to rise because she is such the little sleeper!  She wakes at 9:45 and our day begins.  Christian is lying in front of the television already eating a nutritional breakfast of powdered donuts and watching the HIstory channel.  I love the fact he is watching such an educational channel until I realize once again  that the show is about weird phenomenons!  This time it is about "Big Foot" and all his sighitngs.  Last time it was about UFO sightings.  I LOVE him!!  His quirkiness makes me smile.  I spend the rest of my day hunting pacifiers, playing in Chloe's tent, re-starting Sesame Street and singing the monster song with Chloe and doing laundry in between.
   Our snow days are a wonderful time for me to interact and hopefully give my children fond memories of being home and having thier mom play and talk to them, a place where they feel safe and loved, a place that is ours, a time that is ours, and even though it is simple and nothing extraordinary, this was our time at home cherishing our beloved snow day together:-)

                                                                                                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment